a classic Italian dessert
- 4 fresh egg yolks
- 75g sugar
- 500g mascarpone
- zests of a lemon
- two espressi
- almond liqueur (Amaretto)
- 150g sponge fingers (Ladyfingers)
- cocoa powder
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until creamy.
- Add 500g mascarpone in portions while beating and stir in the lemon zest.
- Mix a double espresso with 4 tablespoons of Amaretto
- Place 75g of the sponge fingers in a square form and sprinkle with half of the espresso-Amaretto mixture (approx. 2 teaspoons liquid per sponge).
- Spread half of the mascarpone cream evenly on top.
- Place a further 75g of sponge fingers on top and sprinkle with the espresso-Amaretto mixture as above.
- Spread the remaining mascarpone cream evenly on top
- Cool in the fridge for at least two hours
- Sprinkle thickly with sieved cocoa powder before serving.